Looking for the best email tracking software?
An email tracking tool can track email opens and other metrics to help sales and marketing teams run effective email marketing campaigns. It’s also useful for any professional who wants to know if their email has been opened or not.
In this article, I’ll cover why you need to track your emails and list down the best email tracking software.
Here’s what this article contains:
(Use the links below to jump to a specific section)
- Why You Should Be Tracking Emails
- The Top Ten Email Tracking Software
(includes key features, pricing, pros and cons, ratings)
Three Reasons To Track Your Emails
While anyone can benefit from email tracking, it’s especially useful to email marketers. Here’s why:
1. It Helps You Monitor Campaign Interactions
If you’re an email marketer, chances are you send emails to hundreds of people.
However, you can’t manually monitor each interaction, right?
Luckily, email trackers let email senders know when someone opens or engages with their emails. This helps you manage your email campaign interactions without having to lift a finger!
Most email trackers can track when:
- A recipient opens your emails.
- They click on any link present in your email messages.
- They forward an email to someone else, and more.
However, that isn’t all.
You’ll also get an idea of when they opened your email. This can help you gauge when they’re most active and help you send follow-up emails at the right time for maximum engagement.
2. You Get Unique Insights About Your Email Marketing Campaigns
Most email trackers do more than just track email opens.
They give you detailed reports on different aspects of your campaigns. You get information on campaign metrics like:
- Open Rates (OR) – the number of recipients that opened your emails.
- Click-through Rates (CTR) – the number of email ids that clicked the links in your emails.
- Bounce Rates – how many email addresses didn’t receive your emails.
- Unsubscribe Rates – how many email ids unsubscribed from your campaigns.
How does this help you?
These metrics will help you understand:
- If your emails are going through.
- If they’re connecting with your audience.
- What’s going wrong with your emails.
- What needs to be changed.
Email senders can use these metrics to fine-tune their emails to make them more attractive to their audience.
3. It Provides You The Context For Follow-ups
Your marketing campaign follow-ups need to be meaningful. You can’t afford to bombard your recipients with follow-ups they didn’t ask for.
It’s a surefire way to get you marked as spam!
Think about it.
You can’t send a weekly follow-up email to someone who recently unsubscribed, right?
With email tracking, email senders get valuable insights into their prospects’ interests and behavior. This helps you tweak and customize your follow-ups for maximum engagement.
Here’s how it boosts your outreach:
If you know that a person regularly engages with your mails, chances are, they’re interested in what you’re selling. You can now move them down your sales funnel and maybe give them a call, as they’re primed for a pitch.
The Top 10 Email Tracking Tools
GMass is a powerful email outreach software that lets you run marketing campaigns from your Gmail inbox. Its powerful mail merge capabilities have made it a popular email tracker that’s used by employees from Uber, Google and social media giants like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
With GMass, you can:
- Automatically track several email campaign metrics accurately.
- Quickly send sales and marketing campaigns to tons of people.
- Automatically personalize mass emails on a person-by-person basis.
- Easily schedule emails in advance.
Here’s a closer look at GMass’ key features:
A) Advanced Mail Merge Reports And Email Analytics
GMass accurately tracks various email metrics to give you detailed marketing break downs in your Campaign Report.
What’s the Campaign Report?
The Campaign Report is automatically generated after sending each email campaign and highlights all the core marketing statistics you need.
Here’s what GMass’s automated Campaign Reports contain:
- Total Recipients:
The total number of email addresses that an email campaign was sent to.
- Unique Opens:
The total number of unique email ids that opened your email.
- Didn’t Open:
The total number of email ids that didn’t open your email.
- Unique Clicks:
The total number of unique recipients that clicked at least one link in your email.
The total number of recipients that replied to your campaign.
The total number of email ids that unsubscribed from your emails.
The total number of emails that came back as undeliverable because the address was invalid.
- Rejections because your Gmail account is over-limit:
The total number of email ids that didn’t receive your emails because Gmail limited your account’s sending ability.
The total number of emails that came back as undeliverable because the address rejected your email as spam.
However, GMass’s reports are far better than your regular campaign reports.
Unlike other email marketing tools like Mixmax, SalesHandy and ContactMonkey — GMass places campaign reports right inside your Gmail account. You won’t have to open a separate tool or window to access it. Your reports will be waiting for you right in your Gmail inbox!
For detailed information on GMass’ reports, click here.
B) Powerful Personalization
Email marketing is all about making a connection.
And how do you make a connection?
By personalizing your emails.
Think about it.
What would you rather engage with?
Generic marketing emails?
Or those that are tailor-made for you and your needs?
But you can’t manually personalize hundreds of emails. That’s going to take forever!
Luckily, GMass can help with this.
The tool offers you automated personalization features to tailor your marketing emails on a person-by-person basis. It gives you features like:
- Auto First Name Detection and Entry – the tool auto-detects a person’s first name from their email id and adds it to each person’s email.
- Personalize large blocks of text – GMass lets you personalize entire blocks of text in your email messages on a person-by-person basis.
- Include customized links, images – you can add customized links, URLs and pictures for each email recipient.
As the tool’s doing all the personalizing, you won’t have to lift a finger!
C) Email Scheduling
Timing plays a huge role in email marketing.
You need to send emails at the right time for maximum engagement.
For example, your email campaigns won’t be as successful if your recipients receive your emails at 3 A.M, right?
You should ideally send your campaigns when your recipients are most likely to check their inbox.
To help you with this, GMass allows you to schedule your emails in advance to plan your campaigns carefully. As the tool automatically sends these emails, you won’t have to be online when they go out.
If there’s a change of schedule, you can always reschedule your emails via the GMass Drafts folder.
D) Automatic Follow-ups
After analyzing your campaign responses, you’ll have to send meaningful email follow-ups, right?
But what if you have to follow-up on hundreds of emails?
You can’t do that manually!
GMass can automate the process for you.
It can send automated follow-ups to targeted recipients for maximum engagement. You can customize everything about these follow-up emails; such as:
- The trigger for sending a follow-up. For example, GMass can send a follow-up email the moment a recipient clicks a particular link or replies to your email.
- The number of follow-up emails each person receives.
- The time gaps between each follow-up.
- The follow-up email messages.
- Quick setup and onboarding.
- User-friendly interface.
- Can build email lists based on Gmail account search results.
- Can easily import contact lists from a Google Sheets file.
- Can send automated email campaigns.
- Available as a powerful Gmail add-on for Android devices too.
- Powerful CRM integrations with Salesforce and Hubspot.
- Active customer support team.
- The software works with Google Chrome only.
- Only works for Gmail and G-Suite accounts.
- Free: fully-featured free email tracking software that can send 50 emails/day.
- Minimal: $8.95/month – unlimited email tracking + all features except auto follow-ups.
- Standard: $12.95/month – includes GMass footer for sent emails and everything available in Minimal.
- Premium: $19.95/month – everything available in Standard + auto follow-ups.
- Premium: starts at $89/month for a group of 5.
- Capterra – 5/5 (270+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.8/5 (280+ reviews)
MailTrack is a simple web-based service that tracks Gmail emails to give you a read receipt for email opens. It adds a double checkmark (✓✓) to your email message whenever a recipient opens it.
- Powerful notifications for email opens.
- Reminders for unopened emails.
- Reply monitoring to track email responses.
- Integrates with CRM software.
- First-open email alerts.
- Powerful daily email campaign reports.
- Real-time alerts are available on mobile devices as well.
- Has plugins for Chrome, Firefox and Opera.
- Can’t track email open when there are multiple recipients for the same email.
- The app alerts you when you open your own emails. This can lead to tons of unnecessary notifications.
- Free plan: offers unlimited free email open tracking.
- Pro plan: $4.99/month – unlimited open and click tracking + email & phone support + daily reports and reminders.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.6/5 (50+ reviews)
Boomerang is an email marketing tool that works with email service providers like Gmail and Outlook. Its powerful web-based service has made it a popular email tracker that’s used by tons of small businesses.
- Powerful AI assistant to help you craft attractive emails.
- Inbox Pause to pause new emails from coming into your Gmail inbox.
- Easy email scheduling with real-time alerts.
- Can send recurring email campaigns and follow-ups.
- Response tracking to track email replies.
- Add private notes to scheduled emails.
- The app alerts you if you don’t get an email response.
- The app has powerful sorting features to declutter your inbox.
- The initial setup is complicated.
- The UI is difficult to navigate.
- At times, you may have to log in repeatedly.
- Basic: free email tracking service and AI features with 10 message credits per month. (Each message credit lets you use Boomerang for one outgoing message.)
- Personal: $4.99/month – includes everything in Basic with unlimited message credits + notes for emails.
- Pro: $14.99/month – everything in Personal + Inbox Pause and advanced AI features.
- Premium: $49.99/month – offers Pro + additional customizations and support + CRM integration.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (20+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.4/5 (450+ reviews)
Gmelius is a collaborative workspace software that doubles up as an email tracker. Gmelius’s powerful email tracking service can monitor everything that happens to your emails after you’ve hit send.
- Detailed reports and email analytics.
- Real-time alerts on mobile and desktop for all events.
- Automatic email categorization.
- Personalized mail merge campaigns.
- Collaborate on emails with your team.
- CRM integration to sync all your email contacts.
- Create email templates that can be personalized and shared.
- Set reminders for automatic follow-ups.
- Schedule recurring emails to send monthly invoices, weekly meeting agendas, etc.
- The app notifications can clutter your inbox if you don’t use your device frequently.
- Limited email tracking features in the free plan.
- Free: offers email open tracking with desktop notifications.
- Plus: $9/month per user – email collaboration features + access to email activity reports.
- Growth: $19/month per user – everything in Plus + click tracking + mail merge features.
- Capterra – 5/5 (10+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.5/5 (20+ reviews)
LeadBoxer is an online lead generation and marketing tool that tracks your newsletters and emails. Its powerful Gmail Chrome extension tracks email opens, link clicks, and more.
- Supports real-time alerts for your email opens.
- Can automatically identify prospects from your marketing emails.
- Provides detailed email campaign data such as your email click-through rate.
- Automatic lead scoring to rank prospects.
- Integrates with your CRM software.
- Powerful Google Analytics level reporting for email and social media campaigns.
- Reports are accessible on mobile devices as well.
- You can filter and prioritize email prospects by company name or location.
- Expensive plans – start at $79/month.
- Difficult to use as a standalone email tracking software.
- Starter: $79/month – supports a single user with one lead generation dataset.
- Business: $199/month – supports three users and three datasets.
- Corporate: $399/month – supports ten users and ten datasets.
- Capterra – 5/5 (5 reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4/5 (2 reviews)
Bananatag allows you to track emails, schedule them and create email templates in Gmail and Outlook. It also gives you advanced email analytics and reports to break down a prospect’s overall engagement.
- Schedule and snooze emails to manage your email schedules effectively.
- Detailed email analytics and reports.
- Intuitive drag and drop interface.
- Attachment tracking to see how recipients interact with your email attachments.
- Easy email scheduling.
- Sync emails to your CRM software.
- Can create email templates to save you tons of time when composing emails.
- Simple setup and user-friendly interface.
- The tool doesn’t work for corporate email addresses.
- Notifications come as separate emails. This can clutter your inbox if there’s a large mailing list.
- Pro: $10/month (solo) – track up to 100 emails/day with detailed reports and scheduling features.
- Team: $20/month per user – everything in Pro + track up to 200 emails/day + team management features.
- Capterra – 5/5 (5 reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4/5 (20+ reviews)
Yesware is a popular email service for professional email marketers and sales reps. It gives you detailed data over your campaign’s open rates, click-through rates and attachment downloads in Gmail and Outlook.
- Real-time notifications for email opens and link clicks.
- You can personalize your emails by creating custom email templates.
- Reply monitoring to track prospect responses.
- Detailed tracking reports to help take stock of your campaign progress.
- Attachment tracking to monitor how prospects use your files.
- Simple setup and user-friendly interface.
- You can easily sync your emails and activities through its Salesforce integration.
- You can set reminders to follow-up on customers.
- No auto-save feature for email campaigns.
- The app notifies you when you open your own emails – cluttering your campaign data.
- When there are multiple recipients for your email, it doesn’t clearly state who opened it.
- Pro: $12/month per user – real-time sales email tracking + Salesforce sync + custom email templates and reminders.
- Premium: $25/month per user – includes Pro features + marketing automation features.
- Enterprise: $55/month per user – includes Premium features + Salesforce inbox sidebar + email and calendar CRM sync.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (140+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.4/5 (600+ reviews)
Hubspot Sales is a sales software that offers a suite of tools to boost productivity, track leads and streamline the activities of your sales team. It can also be used as a powerful solution for email tracking.
- Built-in email activity stream that automatically logs each prospect’s email data.
- Automated and personalized email follow-ups.
- Predictive lead-scoring to help prioritize potential customers.
- Customizable reports that break down email metrics.
- Powerful Salesforce integration.
- User-friendly UI.
- Build email templates that can be customized and shared with your sales team.
- You can schedule emails and follow-ups in advance.
- No mass emailing features. You can enter them in a sequence to build an email list, but you need to hit the send button for each one.
- The basic starter plan isn’t very feature-rich.
- The reporting dashboard can be difficult to use.
- Starter: $35/month – supports 1 user + basic sales email tracking and lead generation features.
- Professional: $280/month – supports 5 users and everything in Starter + sales automation and Salesforce integration.
- Enterprise: $840/month – includes 10 users + lead-scoring and team management features.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (2000+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.3 /5 (600+ reviews)
Cirrus Insight is a popular email open tracker that works with email clients like Gmail and Outlook.
- Email scheduling to send emails at a time of your choice.
- Allows you to save, personalize and reuse email templates.
- Can send drip marketing campaigns to improve email outreach.
- Email reminders to follow-up on sales and marketing pitches and quotes.
- Can schedule meetings with prospects.
- Detailed tracking of your email attachments.
- Its Salesforce integration syncs your emails and contacts.
- Syncs with your Google Calendar to manage email schedules.
- The starter plan isn’t very feature-rich.
- The UI can be confusing for beginners.
- Starter: $27/month per user – offers standard tracking and productivity features.
- Closer: $245/month per user – everything in Starter + schedule sharing and team analytics features.
- Enterprise: custom pricing – includes Closer + drip campaign and organizational features.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (80+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.3 /5 (1000+ reviews)
10. Streak for Gmail
Streak is a lightweight CRM and email tracking tool for Gmail. You can use it to track customers, emails and create mail merges.
- Intuitive email sidebar that displays each email’s tracking details.
- Detailed reports for email insights.
- Personalization features for mail merges and follow-ups.
- Collaborate with your team on marketing emails.
- Automatic email response tracking.
- You can sort your emails based on the type of response.
- Color codes and customizations let you manage your campaigns efficiently.
- Reports and data can be accessed from within your Gmail inbox.
- There’s no dedicated Streak dashboard.
- The app doesn’t clearly indicate which address in an email thread viewed the email.
- Their free plan isn’t very feature-rich.
Streak lets you choose from three pricing plans:
- Personal: free email tracking software with basic CRM features.
- Professional: $49/month per user billed annually – offers advanced CRM features like email filters, reports, call logs and more + basic API and Zapier integrations.
- Enterprise: $129/month per user billed annually – includes everything in Professional with full API access + advanced customizations.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.5 /5 (90+ reviews)
Choosing an email tracking software doesn’t have to be tricky.
While each of these tools is good, GMass stays ahead with its powerful email tracking and mail merge capabilities. It’s got all the features you need to get the best out of your email marketing campaigns; so why not download its free Chrome extension and experience it for yourself?