Looking for the best cold email software?
While sending cold emails can be tricky, you now have hundreds of cold email tools to streamline the process for you!
In this article, I’ll highlight the seven best cold email software solutions (and not all of them are mine!). I’ll also cover three crucial cold emailing practices to help you create smart email marketing campaigns that convert.
This article covers:
- How to Choose Cold Email Marketing Software
- The Top Seven Cold Email Tools
(includes key features, pros, cons and customer ratings)
- The Three Best Cold Email Practices
How to Choose Cold Email Software
Using a cold email tool is a surefire way to boost your email outreach and conversions.
But with hundreds of such tools available, how do you choose the right one?
To help you out, here are three key things to look for in good cold email software:
1. Personalization Features
Personalization is an essential feature of any cold email software.
Because it helps you make meaningful connections with potential customers or clients.
While all cold emailing tools offer some personalization, the extent to which they provide it differs from tool to tool.
Some tools offer only basic personalization features such as automatically adding recipient names and addresses, while others also let you include customized images and links to your emails.
Invest in a tool that has a wide range of personalization features to make your emails more targeted. This will make your recipients more likely to engage with your emails, as they won’t feel like you’re mass emailing them.
2. Email Tracking and Analytics
A key feature of any email marketing software is email tracking and analytics.
Look for software that tracks your email open rates, link clicks, and response rates. These statistics help you determine how effective your campaigns are and modify your future emails accordingly.
As most tools make this a premium feature, it’s smarter to invest in those that provide powerful email tracking features in their base plans.
3. Campaign Automation
A major benefit of using cold email tools is that they automate the process of creating and sending emails. Look for software that does most of the heavy lifting for you — creating mailing lists, mass email personalization, and automatically sending cold emails and follow-ups.
And if the tool provides all these essential settings in a single compact tab, that’s even better. You can quickly launch an email campaign in seconds without having to juggle between different browser tabs!
The Top Seven Cold Email Software Tools
Here are the top 7 cold email tools in 2020:
GMass is a powerful cold email software that lets you run sales and marketing campaigns right from your Gmail account. Its powerful mail merge capabilities have made it a popular cold email outreach tool used by employees of Uber, Google, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
One of the best things about GMass is that it’s incredibly simple to use, and you can quickly get started with it — just download the Chrome extension and sign up with your email account.
It’s that easy!
Here’s a detailed look at GMass’ key features to help you send cold email campaigns:
A) Email List Builder
Creating an email list from scratch is painstaking when you have tons of recipients.
GMass’ Build Email List feature makes this super easy. All you have to do is perform a Gmail search using a keyword, and GMass automatically builds an email list using the IDs in the search results.
For example, let’s say you are the owner of a business named “Ted’s Tadpole Tanks.”
If you want to send emails to everyone you’ve interacted with about your product or service, you can perform a Gmail search using the term “tadpole.” GMass will then automatically build an email list using the email IDs in the resulting emails that contain the term:
Click here for a detailed guide on how to do this.
B) Powerful Email Personalization
One of the trickiest parts of cold email outreach is making a connection with the recipient. As your prospects are people who don’t know you, they’re likely to mark your message as spam if you send them a generic email.
So how do you connect with your prospects without risking your sender reputation?
By sending them personalized emails!
While personalization can help your emails avoid spam filters, it can also boost your open rates.
Remember, an email that’s tailor-made for a recipient is far more appealing than a generic one!
But with tons of recipients, manually personalizing each person’s email is impossible.
Fortunately, GMass offers automatic personalization settings to help you out. It gives you features like:
- Auto first name detection and entry – the tool automatically detects a person’s first name from their email ID and adds it to an email addressed to them.
- Personalize paragraphs – you can customize large blocks of text in your email on a person-by-person basis.
- Personalize images and links – you can add unique pictures and links to your email for each recipient.
C) Advanced Email Analytics and Mail Merge Reports
GMass auto-generates a Campaign Report each time you send a cold email campaign. It gives you a detailed breakdown of all the core email statistics you need to analyze your campaign engagements.
Here’s an overview of some of the stats present in a GMass Campaign Report:
- Total Recipients:
The total number of email IDs to which you sent an email campaign.
- Unique Opens:
The total number of unique recipients who opened your email.
Note: GMass only tracks the unique opens to give you accurate email stats. If someone opens your email more than once, the additional instances won’t show up in your report to inflate the number of opens.
- Didn’t Open:
The total number of recipients who didn’t open your email.
- Unique Clicks:
The total number of unique recipients who clicked at least one link in your email.
The total number of recipients who replied to your email.
Additionally, most cold email tools like Mailshake, Saleshandy, and Mixmax force you to open a separate interface to view your campaign reports. This can be an issue as you’ll have to switch between tabs to manage your stats.
However, GMass places your reports under the [CAMPAIGNS] label in the Gmail sidebar. This way, you can quickly access all your campaign data right inside Gmail.
D) Automatic Follow-Ups
Most email marketers have to follow-up on prospects after the initial cold email.
But you can’t manually follow-up on hundreds of emails, right?
With GMass, you don’t have to worry.
It automates the process of sending follow-ups to help you engage your prospects.
You can even customize everything about these follow-ups, like:
- The trigger for sending a follow-up email to the recipient.
For example, you can set GMass to send a follow-up email only when a recipient replies to your campaign.
- The number of follow-ups a person receives.
- The follow-up message.
- The time gaps between follow-ups.
E) Email Scheduling
Scheduling your email campaigns is another smart way to ensure maximum engagement.
With GMass, you can easily schedule your cold emails to reach your recipients at the right time. All you have to do is just compose your email and schedule it. GMass will then automatically send the email at the specified time — you don’t have to be online when it goes out!
If you want to change the schedule, you can simply reschedule it from the Gmail Drafts folder.
- Simple setup.
- User-friendly interface.
- Can build email lists using any search criteria in your Gmail account.
- Quickly import contact lists from a Google Sheets file.
- Can automate email sequences using Google Sheets and Zapier.
- Can test email deliverability.
- Has a powerful Gmail add-on for Android devices.
- Seamless integrations with Salesforce and HubSpot CRM.
- Efficient customer support.
- The tool works only with Gmail and G Suite accounts.
- The desktop version works only with Chrome.
GMass is available in three pricing plans:
- Free: offers automated email tracking for 50 emails/day + all features.
- Minimal: $8.95/month – unlimited email tracking + all features except auto follow-ups.
- Standard: $12.95/month – includes “Minimal” features + removes GMass footer from emails.
- Premium: $19.95/month – includes “Standard “ features + auto follow-ups.
- Premium: starts at $89/month for a team of five and offers all features.
- Capterra – 4.9/5 (300+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.8/5 (300+ reviews)
Image Source: Woodpecker Website
Woodpecker is cold email marketing software that integrates with Gmail and Outlook. It lets you send personalized emails and follow-ups and also lets you track them.
- Automates email sequences.
- Cold email campaign scheduling and tracking.
- Automatic reply detection.
- Powerful team-activity dashboard.
- Auto-detects duplicate contacts in your campaign.
- Dedicated features for B2B lead generation agencies.
- Has a Google Chrome extension.
- Can’t send email attachments.
- Works as a separate inbox.
- The standard plan is relatively expensive.
- Start-up: $40/month per user – automatic email sending, analytics, and teamwork features.
- Team Pro: $50/month per user – includes “Start-up” features + integrations.
- Enterprise: custom pricing – includes “Team Pro” features + custom API solutions.
- Capterra – 4.8/5 (10+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.5/5 (20+ reviews)
Click here to read my detailed review of Woodpecker.
Image Source: Lemlist YouTube Channel
Lemlist is a popular email tool that lets you personalize anything in your cold emails. Be it text, videos, or images — Lemlist can handle it all. It also lets you create an email campaign with any customized cold email template.
- Can set email automation triggers.
- Can create personalized images and videos.
- Advanced campaign reports.
- Can schedule automatic follow-ups.
- Can A/B test your emails to determine the most effective one.
- Can use any customized cold email template.
- Has integrations with Zapier and CRM software.
- Can’t send files as email attachments.
- Can be challenging to set up drip campaigns.
- Silver: $29/month – send unlimited email campaigns + text personalization + email deliverability features.
- Gold: $49/month per user – includes “Silver” features + personalized images + A/B test and CRM integrations.
- Platinum: $99/month per user – includes “Gold” features + priority customer support + video integrations.
- Capterra – 4.6/5 (250+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.5/5 (10+ reviews)
Image Source: Yesware Website
Yesware is a sales prospecting tool that’s used by professional sales reps and email marketers. It lets you create and send personalized cold email marketing campaigns in Gmail and Outlook.
- Create custom email templates to personalize your emails.
- Create and schedule drip campaigns.
- Set follow-up reminders.
- Email tracking with real-time notifications.
- View each campaign’s data on a campaign dashboard.
- Can track how prospects use your email attachments.
- Has a Salesforce integration.
- Can clutter your campaign data as the app alerts you when you open your own emails.
- May not clearly show who opened an email if it has multiple recipients.
- Email campaigns may not be automatically saved.
- Pro: $15/month per user – real-time email and attachment tracking + email templates + follow-up reminders.
- Premium: $35/month per user – includes “Pro” features + team and advanced campaign features.
- Enterprise: $80/month per user – includes “Premium” features + Salesforce integration.
- Capterra – 4.2/5 (130+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.4/5 (650+ reviews)
Image Source: Prospect.io Website
Prospect.io is a lead generation and email automation tool that helps companies and freelancers find leads and reach out to them via email. It uses a credit-based system to discover email IDs of potential customers or clients from their social media and other websites. Each time you use its email finder feature, one credit from your plan is used.
- Search or verify email IDs of prospects.
- Create personalized drip campaigns.
- Customize and share email templates with your sales team.
- Tracks email replies, bounces, and out-of-office responses.
- Works with Gmail and Outlook.
- Native integrations with Salesforce and HubSpot CRM.
- Has a powerful Chrome extension that helps you find prospect details from websites.
- No free trial available.
- Creating drip campaigns can be slightly complicated.
- While the pricing plans offer some credits, you’ll have to purchase them additionally if you want more.
Prospect.io is available in three pricing plans:
- Essential: $79/month – unlimited email campaigns + tracking and reporting features + 250 email finder credits.
- Business: $129/month – includes “Essential” features + 1000 credits + API access.
- Enterprise: custom pricing – includes “Business” features + priority support + email deliverability checkup.
- Additional email finder credits cost:
- $39 for 250 credits.
- $59 for 500 credits.
- $99 for 1000 credits.
- $299 for 5000 credits.
- Capterra – 4.4/5 (5+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 3.8/5 (5+ reviews)
Image Source: Gmelius Capterra Page
Gmelius is a sales automation and cold email outreach tool that works with Gmail. It helps streamline your sales processes with its lead generation and email campaign features.
- Personalize your outbound sales campaigns.
- Customize and share any cold email template with your sales team.
- Monitor your email campaign performance with advanced analytics.
- Schedule recurring emails to send weekly or monthly reports.
- Get real-time desktop and mobile alerts for lead engagements.
- Has a browser extension for Google Chrome.
- Integrates with Salesforce and HubSpot CRM.
- The free plan has only limited email tracking features.
- If you don’t open your inbox frequently, the app notifications may clutter it.
- Free: offers email open tracking + five email templates.
- Plus: $12/month per user – includes “Free” features + team collaboration features + unlimited email templates + lead nurturing features.
- Growth: $24/month per user – includes “Plus” features + click tracking + email automation features.
- Enterprise: $69/month per user – includes “Growth” features + data recovery service + dedicated support.
- Capterra – 4.6/5 (30+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.4/5 (100+ reviews)
Image Source: Streak Website
Streak is a simple CRM software that integrates with Gmail. It helps you manage your sales funnel, send mail merges, and track cold calling and engagements.
- Personalize mail merges with custom email templates.
- Schedule automated follow-ups and set reminders for it.
- Collaborate with your sales team on cold email campaigns.
- Detailed email tracking reports.
- An email sidebar provides immediate context about each email.
- Has email filters to help you sort through prospect responses.
- Its mobile app can also be used to log cold calls.
- No dedicated sales dashboard — your sales processes can clutter your Gmail inbox.
- May not clearly show which ID in an email thread viewed the email.
- The personal plan offers no reporting features.
- Personal: free – basic mail merge and CRM features like importing and exporting data.
- Professional: $59/month per user – includes “Personal” features + advanced CRM features like email filters and sales reports, call logs + basic API access + Zapier integrations.
- Enterprise: $159/month per user – includes “Professional” features + full API access + advanced customizations.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 (300+ reviews)
- G2 Crowd – 4.5/5 (100+ reviews)
The Three Best Cold Email Practices
Here are three things to keep in mind for cold email success:
1. Have a Powerful Subject Line for Your Email
Subject lines matter.
Remember, it’s the first thing people see on receiving your email. It could be the decisive factor in whether they open it or not!
So how do you master it?
Including your prospect’s first name in the subject line is a smart way to add some instant personalization to your emails.
Using GMass is the quickest way to personalize your email subject lines. It lets you use recipient details like their name, company name, or other details to create subject lines that get your emails opened instantly.
You could also pose a question to the recipient to quickly grab their attention.
For example, if you’re marketing link building services, you could write:
“Hey John, does (company name) need a hand with SEO?”
As this shows that the email is clearly meant for John, he is more likely to open the email if his answer to your question is “maybe” or “yes.”
Also, ensure that the text in the subject line is fully visible to the recipient.
Think about it.
Would you bother opening an email if it’s subject line ends with “…”? No, right?
While subject line length varies with email service providers and the device used by the recipient to check their inbox, it’s a best practice to keep the subject line to six to ten words.
Takeaway: Use a subject line that’s short enough to be fully viewed but long enough to be informative and engaging.
2. Make the Email About the Recipient
Remember, the trickiest part of sending cold emails is making a connection with the recipient. So to craft a highly effective cold email, take a moment to get into their head.
The key is to make the email 95% about the recipient and 5% about your business.
While email personalization is essential, it doesn’t end with just including the recipient’s name.
You need to mention why you are emailing that person specifically and also show them that you are familiar with what they do. Including personalized images and links are effective ways to make the email about the recipient.
Another email strategy to follow is to get straight to the point.
No one wants to read an email that talks at great length about your company and its product or service. It’s best to give the recipient what they would like to know at the start of the message.
For example, if you offer content marketing services, you could point out:
- How your recipient can improve their blog posts’ Google rankings.
- The conversion boost they’ll receive.
- Case studies to show your track record helping people like them.
To get this right and build in efficiency, you can create custom cold email templates that focus on the recipient.
Takeaway: Keep the email message short, personalized, and straightforward.
3. Make It Easy for the Recipient to Opt-Out
It’s always essential to include an unsubscribe option in your emails.
As you’re sending a cold email to people who don’t know you, there’s no guarantee that they’ll be interested in hearing from you. And if they aren’t, it’s a good email strategy to let them opt-out of your mailing list. This way, you won’t be risking your sender reputation when cold emailing prospects.
The easiest way to do this is to provide an unsubscribe link at the top or the bottom of your sales email. This way, the recipient can quickly opt-out from receiving your emails without having to mark your message as spam.
With GMass, you can insert an unsubscribe link anywhere in your cold email campaigns with the click of a button. If anyone opts out of your campaign, GMass automatically removes their email IDs from your recipient list — you don’t have to do it manually!
Takeaway: Always include a simple opt-out link in your cold sales email.
Choosing cold email software doesn’t have to be confusing, and it can help you create rewarding cold email outreach campaigns.
While all these tools are good, GMass stands out for its simple UI and powerful cold email outreach features. It’s got everything you need to run cold email campaigns effectively, so why not download its Chrome extension and check it out today?